Just found this list on my LinkedIn page. I am sad to say that I am guilty of several transgressions against etiquette here and will strive to do better. Take a moment and see how you stack up, but wait til I finsih talking (my biggest issues are numbers 5 and 6, what about you?)
11 Ways To Improve Your Interpersonal Communication Skills:
1. Be the first to make an introduction. Say hello first, offer a handshake, if a handshake is not an option, then at least a head nod and a smile.
2. Smile when engaging with others when appropriate.
3. Maintain steady eye contact while communicating with others. If this is uncomfortable, look just between their eyes and they won't know the difference. It's fine to glance away from time to time, but make sure they are your primary focus.
4. To improve your interpersonal communication skills, Listen, listen, listen. People will notice if you actually listen to them, and respond to what they are talking about rather than focusing on your agenda and what you have going on inside your head.
5. Don't Interrupt! This is HUGE. Let them finish their sentence, even if you are tempted to finish their thought or idea. When you interrupt, they feel unimportant.
6. When someone is wrong about something, or incorrect about a fact that you know the truth about don't feel like you need to correct them, unless the topic is of major importance. Some people just need to feel like they are right, and letting them feel this way will make them feel good and help avoid a stressful situation or uncomfortable argument.
7. If someone reads something or sees something and feels that it is important enough to tell you about it, let them tell you. Even if you already know about it. I cringe when I hear someone say something like "Hey this article I read said that we are supposed to get 3 feet of snow this month." Then the other person says..."Yea, I already know." You are making that person feel like you are "more informed" than they are and that you are better. Just say something like, "WOW that would be a lot of snow!" and leave it at that. They don't know that you are more informed that they are.
8. To improve your interpersonal communication skills, know that the most beautiful sound or word in the English language to any individual is that persons own first name. Use other people's names when communicating with them A LOT.
9. Choose your words wisely. Once a word escapes your lips, you can never get it back. Think before you speak, and make sure what you are saying is appropriate. The words you say actually steer your destiny and create your world you are living in. Saying sorry or that "you take it back" doesn't really mean much. Once you've said it, it's out there.
10. Never Criticize, condemn, or complain. It makes other people defensive, and it won't be welcomed.
11. Lastly, to improve your interpersonal communication skills, talk in terms of other people's interests. People are selfish by nature, they want to talk about what is important to them.
Your Internet Wealth Strategy Coach
Truffles NC Keeps on Keeping on!!
5 months ago