Wednesday, May 5, 2010

One Mans Junk

Received an email from Eddy McGee, Director of the Stokes County Arts Council yesterday and I wanted to share its contents with you and brag on their efforts. First the email: "don't forget the festival will feature the former Winston-Salem Symphony Performance Shell used at Tanglewood and Graylyn back in the 70's and 80's. All of the research that I've done on fiberglass shells tells me that this one new would cost in the neighborhood of $90,000 +. We got it for a 1/2 tank of gas to haul it back to Stokes, $11.00 for sand paper, and we borrowed a pressure washer and were owed a favor for a paint job on it. That creative rural engineering may not be pretty, but it ain't half bad. "

I wish I could find a photo of this for a before and after shot but have been unable to do so. It would simply enhance my story on how industrious the fine people, both staff and volunteers of the Stokes County Arts Council are. I believe they do more with less than any group I have ever been associated with. It is amazing how many lives are touched by their efforts to bring "The Arts" to the people of Stokes County.

When you are attending one of the events they sponsor, and there are a lot of them, take time to thank them for a job well done. And don't miss next weekends Foothills Hayride at Jomeokee event. It should be a classic. If the bandshell looks familiar, you will know where it came from.

1 comment:

  1. I remember that shell from attending concerts there when I was a young, innocent, impressionable child. Nice to know it was not cast aside, but refurbed and given a second chance at greatness. Goes with the saying, "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle". Reusing and recycling in action!

    ReplyDelete