Sunday, September 13, 2009

My First "Stokes Stomp"

by Kelly Wood, special correspondent and photographer for Alan Wood



A bright September morn dawned on Saturday, 9/12/09. We set out to experience our very first Stokes Stomp.

A flood of traffic took over the normally quiet streets of Danbury while the sounds of marching bands, bluegrass and heavy metal music lingered with the smells of Indian vegetables (and delicious tomato chutney), BBQ, Perogies and Funnel Cakes. Everywhere the eye was met by the bright colors of balloons, t-shirts of dance teams, kayaks, flags and Civil War dress. Was this a Fellini Film I had stumbled into? Nope, this sensory delight was my very first "Stokes Stomp"!

What a fantastic day! From the friendly planners and volunteers at the Arts Council to the various vendors and community organizations, this was a delightful day full of sights, sounds and tastes to remember.

This was my 2nd visit to Danbury, but I really feel like I belong here (we need to get our house sold so we can MOVE!). This festival just reinforced that feeling. A diverse, Arts-friendly community is a must for me.

Yes, the traffic was intense, but can you blame the people for wanting to be here? We waited on the road while the volunteers pointed us to a parking spot. There was plenty of room to move about, a fabulous variety of music to listen to, dance teams, kayaking, balloon animals, a fantastic area for the kids! And, the food. So much great food, so little time. Next year I am taking a blanket to nap on after feeding my face! There was plenty of shady spots to rest and relax and as I mentioned before, the friendliest people I have ever met. If you haven't gone to the Stomp before, GO! If you have gone and want to contribute, VOLUNTEER! Festivals like this are what make a community great. Thanks, Stokes Arts Council for such a good time!

(There is an album of photos on the Stokes County NC Travel/Tourism and Development's Facebook page. If you are on Facebook, become a fan!)

No comments:

Post a Comment